RV rentals refer to renting a recreational vehicle like a camper for travel. This fully equipped vehicle makes long-distance travel comfortable. If you are planning a holiday that includes a long road trip, renting a camper is a good option. This article tells you all you need to know about booking an RV.
Understand the benefits
Before you even consider RV rentals, you need to understand the benefits of booking an RV. A recreational vehicle allows you to travel to any destination of your choice, in comfort. It does not confine you to a hotel, and you can stay in your camper and park it in any place of your choice.
An RV is a good option when traveling long distances. RV rentals save on travel and hotel costs. You can even cook your own meals, thus saving on eating out. For an adventure trip that involves fishing or hiking, renting an RV is a great travel option.
Which RV to book?
The RV rentals you choose depends on the number of people traveling and your budget. The different types of campers are:
- Class A: These are full-fledged motorhomes for luxury travel. The increased size makes driving a bit difficult, and it is the most expensive.
- Class B: It is a small camper and suitable for solo travel or for a couple.
- Class C: This RV is a van with a home attached. A bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen is also available.
- Fifth-wheel camper: This is a huge and spacious RV with a fifth wheel. They are ideal for a small group.
- Towable trailers: It is a truck with a trailer that can be towed. These trailers are spacious and suitable for a large group of travelers.
It goes without saying that the type of RV you book would decide the costs. Depending on the number of people traveling, and your budget, you can decide which RV to book. General costs of renting an RV are:
- Class A - $175 to $275 per night
- Class B - $100 to $200 per night
- Class C - $150 to $200 per night
- Fifth wheel - $100 to $200 per night
- Towable trailer - $50 to $150 per night
Apart from the rental expenses, there are other costs. You would need to pay a deposit to the rental company to cover any damages. You also need to take insurance for your trip. Apart from basic facilities, you can book extras for the RV for which you need to pay more.
If you park the RV at a campground, there would be fees for using the campground. Dumping and cleaning fees are also payable at a campsite.
Plan your budget in advance
It is important to understand the different types of RVs, the average costs, and your travel and budget. If you want to enjoy an on-the-road experience, then RVs are your best bet. Decide the destination, and work out the total travel distance and time.
Figure out all costs such as rental costs, campground costs, and all other expenses. The budget helps you decide which RV type to book.
Booking the RV
Getting an RV on a rental is easy. There are many options available. You would need to research different options while budgeting for your trip. There are different places to book an RV:
Some tips to keep in mind
- RV dealers: While dealers offer RVs on sales, some would also offer them on rent.
- Rental companies: These established companies rent out RVs to travelers. But they generally tend to be expensive.
- Peer-to-peer rentals: It is one of the best places to rent an RV. A peer-to-peer rental is where an RV owner rents out his vehicle to others. The process is facilitated by peer-to-peer rental websites like RVshare, Outdoorsy, Campanda, and ShareTraveler. These websites have search options to help you find the RV of your choice. All you need to do is compare prices across websites and book online.
- When you travel during the holidays, there is a great demand for RVs and campgrounds, so you need to book in advance. This can be easily done online.
- The key is to customize your itinerary. Design it in the best possible way, giving you sufficient time for travel. It will help you complete your trip as per the plan. You must note that driving an RV is not as easy as driving a car. You can take a trial run at a dealer before actually booking one online.
- Pack all that you need for a comfortable trip including groceries, ready-to-eat food, water, medicine, and clothes.
An RV is a great travel option for long road trips with family and friends. It allows for comfort on the road that is not offered by a car. You can stay in the camper, cook your own meals, and enjoy a great trip.